As you all know I am creating my on parrot costume. I have the wings and a red dress/shirt already, but to make myself a little more bird-like I’ve decided to make a feathered bib-necklace.
1/2 Sheet of felt
Embellishments (feathers, beads, jewels, sequins, etc.)
1. Begin with 1/2 a sheet of felt, whatever color you decide is best.
2. Fold in half. Hamburger style.
3. With these two cuts you will make your blocky piece of felt into a swooping bib necklace. Since my necklace represents a feathery bird breast, mine is rather wide and I did not cut much off. If you want a necklace for everyday I suggest making it more narrow, thus taking more felt off.
4. Open your newly cut felt up and check out the shape. Do you like it? If you don’t, cut more off. It is always safer to cut less to begin with, then edit from there.
5. Once you are happy with the shape of your felt begin placing embellishments. I always lay things out first before I secure them with the hot glue, and if you are using something like beads or sequins it will probably benefit you as well.
6. Everything laid out and planned? Good. Now you can start gluing! I used hot glue, but you can also use tacky craft glue. Again, it all depends on what you are using to decorate your necklace.
7. Gather ribbon for the ties on your necklace. You will want two pieces, both with enough length to tie around your neck. I chose a thin red ribbon for mine, but feel free to play with different widths to create the look you want. I put a dab of hot glue on either side of the felt and set the ribbon at an angle so the necklace will sit nicely without bunching in the center.
8. Wear! I can’t wait to get the rest of my costume together and show you all how it turns out.
This necklace is a little outrageous and you may not want to wear it as an everyday jewelry piece. However, if you used a thinner piece of felt and other sequins or beads or whatever it is that inspires you- go for it! It is simple, light and comfortable to wear.
I might just make myself another one to wear in a more casual setting.