Hey! Do you like pita chips?
Of course you do.
Just like me, you probably don’t like paying $3+ for a bag of this salty treat. With a few simple ingredients you can make cups and cups of this stuff versus the few portions you get in the bag.
You can do this.
What You Need
1 package pita bread
olive oil (roughly 1/4 cup)
garlic powder or other seasonings
A nice bread knife
Preheat oven to 300 degrees
1. Cut the pita in half, horizontally. This will separate the two halves of the bread. You will really only need to cut the edges, since the center of the pita has a natural pocket of air. Keep the two pieces together.
If you want you, you can skip this step and just cut the pita as it is. However, by cutting the pita bread in half, you are getting double the amount of chips! Double your chips for free? It’s worth the extra step.
2. With the two matching pieces together, cut it into 1-2 inch wide strips. It all depends on how big you want your chips. Do your best to keep all of the pieces matched together.
3. Flip the bread 90 degrees, and cut against the strips, creating squares. Collect all of your squares in a bowl.
4. Get a sheet tray or two, depending on how many pita chips you are planning to make, and line them with foil (easy clean-up). Pour all of your cut up pita evenly onto the trays and drizzle the olive oil onto them. Before you mix them up, season them well with the salt and garlic powder, or whatever else you decided to use. Now- mix! Just use your hands. They’re your best utensil.
5. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, mixing the chips every 10 minutes or so. You will know they are done once they are crisp and slightly brown. Mine look very brown because I used whole wheat pita bread.
Now, go buy yourself some pita bread and start experimenting with different seasonings! Try some rosemary garlic or chili pepper pita chips. I know I will the next time I whip up a batch of these.